Each summer, The AD Club hosts its prestigious summer internship program, offering a select group of undergrads from across the nation the opportunity to intern at some of the leading media and advertising companies in New York City. Interns are granted access to mentors – experienced industry professionals – to guide them through the summer, sharing advice for starting our in their careers.
Mentor Diana Zaccardi, VP Supply Chain Management at Verizon Wireless, offers some words of wisdom to these youngsters. Follow Diana on Twitter @yektadi.
What is the value of mentorship in the advertising industry?
I think it is critical to have a mentor. A mentor should be someone that knows you well enough to guide and coach you through your professional journey. I don’t recommend it be someone that you work for currently or even a friend. It has to be someone you have worked with that knows strengths and weaknesses and can effectively coach you. I have several mentors that I lean on. They help me in a variety of ways. They provide an unbiased point of view when trying to solve a difficult problem. Mentors can assist in clearing roadblocks through their own networks. They also are helpful in providing career counseling. I have found them to be extremely valuable and an absolute must!
What are the best pieces of professional advice that you carry with you day to day?
Love what you do—it brings passion to your work, motivates you and above all, keeps you happy!
- Act with Integrity at all times
- Make time for you, your family, and work…in that order.
- Stay curious- ask questions so you keep learning throughout your career
- Never be afraid to try- take risks
- It’s okay to make mistakes, that’s how you learn
- Appreciate the people that help you and let them know so!
- Focus on your work and do your best, the reward always follows
- Be a good team player to your colleagues
- Details matter, so pay attention to them
These guidelines have changed throughout my career as I have grown. They have worked to help me be successful.